This is 27.
In a few short hours, the chapter of 26 closes for me, and I am one step closer to 30...
While I've been on the ugly side of my 20's for a while now, I still experience a tinge of anxiety the closer I get to 30.. why? I have no idea, but I do...maybe my subconscious knows something about turning 30 that I haven't quite figured out yet... who knows...
I figured that while I spend the next few hours reminiscing about my youth, I'd share 27 things about myself. Not 27 things about my mothering skills, or my opinions on raising children. 27 things about me, Brittney, as a human being.
1. If you missed it above, my name is Brittney, although "The Honest Mom" sounds so much cooler.
2. When I was in 5th grade, I had a pair of faux red leather flares just like the red jumpsuit Britney Spears wore in the "Oops, I did it again" video... I felt like a total badass wearing them.. #noshame
3. I had a Spice Girl themed birthday party when I was in elementary school. We watched the Spice Girls Movie, and made Spice Girl pins with my Mom's button maker.
4. When I was younger, I hated my name. I used to pretend my name was Jessica Reed. Why? I have no idea. And why was my fake name so specific? I really don't have an answer for you..
5. I played basketball on a church league for half a season, but I got kicked off the team for fighting during a game.
6. My favorite foods are buffalo chicken and nachos. In all honesty, I ate one of those food options damn near every single day of pregnancy.. #probablywhyIgained100pounds
7. When asked in 5th grade what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wrote "Professional soccer player or writer for a magazine". Little did I know, almost 20 years later I would in fact be a writer.. had to say goodbye to my soccer dream though..
8. When I eat pizza, I order it with no sauce.
9. When my husband and I spent my 20th birthday together, he spent a whole day cooking his family recipe spaghetti with red sauce. I was too ashamed to tell him I didn't like red sauce, so instead I forced myself to eat it, and pretended that I loved it. I didn't admit to him that I didn't like his spaghetti until after we were married. #toolatetobreakupwithme
10. I unintentionally stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating on something.
11. I was deathly afraid of dogs until my family adopted a Yorkie named Candy. I was so afraid when we first got her that I wore shoes at all times because I was afraid she would bite my toes.
12. When I was a kid I was a VERY picky eater. My dad used to make me try new foods, even if I didn't want to. To avoid this, I would hide in the bathroom during dinner time, and pretend that I was pooping, until my family was done eating. Then I would go downstairs alone and eat what I wanted.
13. I had a bizarre obsession with Johnny Depp during my early teens. I used to sleep with a printed picture of him under my pillow... #stalker
14. I always favored N'SYNC over The Backstreet Boys... Justin Timberlake's curly hair just did it for me..
15. While in high school, my best friend, Emily and I were so close, and spent so much time together, that my Nana thought we were lesbians. Little did she know that at that time I had a boyfriend that was 9 years older than me..
16. I love coffee, and drink it black like my soul.
17. My all time favorite part about Christmas is that my Mother-in-Law makes us all stockings full of goodies. She hates it so much, but I'm fairly certain I've guilted her into still doing it for the last few years... Sorry Mom!
18. I am OBSESSED with making home improvements. I hope to be Joanna Gains or a Property Brother in my next life.
19. I have only been pulled over by a police officer once. I was going 60 MPH in a 45... I was so nervous about being pulled over that I instantly started sobbing uncontrollably. The officer basically consoled me for 15 minutes, gave me tissues, then gave me a warning..
20. I'm super obsessive about money...Like weirdly... I stick to a strict budget, and get INTENSE anxiety if I go off budget. My husband probably wants to punch me at least once or twice a month because of my psychotic financial phobias.
21. I never match my socks. It's a weird thing I do without thinking.
22. I still suck my thumb... and I have a special blanket I sleep with every night.
23. I was so obsessed with the song, "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White T's, that I listened to it on repeat (literally) for weeks on end, until my family threatened to throw me out.
24. When I was in 5th grade, I watched "Darkness Falls" at a birthday party. I was so afraid of losing teeth after that, that I slept on the top bunk of my brother's bunk bed for months until I could sleep in my own room again.
25. Onions freak me out.
26. My first kiss was a peck on the lips with Josh O. in kindergarten.
27. To this day, I am still afraid of the dark. If I have to walk through the dark, I talk to myself out loud. What difference does that make? I have no clue, but that it somehow helps.
Hopefully you either relate to a few of these, or had a good laugh at my expense!
Here's to 27 being better than 26!